Roxburghshire, Scotland Public Record Office
Heart of Hawick
Roxburghshire is one of the ancient counties that are now part of the Scottish Borders. The records for this and the other border lands are now located in archives containing information for all the territory.
Scottish Borders Archive and Local History Centre
Monday and Friday: 9:30am-1pm, 2pm-4:45pm
Tuesday and Thursday: 9:30am-1pm, 2pm-7pm
Wednesday: only open for school groups and groups that pre-book
These archives contain items that cover over 700 years of history. Below is a list of categories that the items found here at the archives fit into, as well as some specific examples of the historical records housed in this archive.
• Local communities and families
o Records from local parishes
o Copies of local newspapers
• Records pertaining to censuses, births, deaths, and marriages
o Records of gravestone inscriptions
• Records about the ownership of land
• Records of various types of local industries
o Sanderson & Murray Ltd of Galashiels
o Aimers McLean and Co.
• Civil records
o Police and council records
• Records of famous people who came from the Scottish borders
o Sir Walter Scott
o James Hogg
Borders Family History Society
This society has some interesting items to help people that are doing research into their family history. It should be noted, that some information or resources are only available to society members. Below is a list of resources offered by the society:
• The archive search room is located at the address mentioned above.
• Free articles that the society offers for download. Some of these are from the society’s magazine.
• An index of surnames from the paper family trees
• Another index of surnames from gravestone inscriptions
• Poor law records
• Society Members can also be hired to conduct research.
• Researchers can also register, for free, to record their genealogical interests. This allows other people who are interested in researching the same locations, time periods, and surnames to contact one another.
• There are also various books, pamphlets, and compact discs in the archive.