Hertfordshire Public Records
Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies, Register Office Block
CHR 002, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford SG14 8EJ
0300 123 4049
Tuesday 9.00 – 19.30
Wednesday 9.00 – 17.00
Thursday 9.00 – 17.00
Friday 9.00 – 17.00
Saturday 9.00 – 13.00The archive consists of:
- births, marriages and deaths on microfiche from September 1837 to 2005
- parish registers for the whole county from c1558 to the twentieth century
- A county-by-county name index to all British parish registers that have been microfilmed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The full 1988 version on microfiche and surrounding counties for the 1992 version.
- Index to Wills at Hertford, 1415-1858
- A name index to the admission and discharge books of the Hertford Union workhouse, 1873-1876,
- Copies from baptism, marriage, and burial registers for Hertfordshire events
- Fatalities 1827 to 1933
Online research is also available at //www.hertsdirect.org
Hertfordshire is a small county of pastoral farmland. It is home to St Albans, a Georgian town that dates back to Roman times. Hatfield House is also in Hertfordshire, one of Britain’s most important stately homes, making it a top attraction. It was a former home of Queen Elizabeth’s.
Hertfordshire is located North of Greater London. To the East is Essex and to the West is Buckinghamshire. Finally, to the North is Bedfordshire.
In 2011, the population of Hertfordshire was approximately 1,116,100. That is a ten percent rise in the last ten years. It is one of the most densely populated counties in England. 70% is rural with only 13% of the population living in rural areas and villages and 87% live in large towns.
Hertfordshire has a good range of elementary and secondary schools. There are four major colleges and the University of Hertfordshire that offers many degrees and diplomas.
Childcare vouchers can be claimed by those who work from the National Insurance contributions. They cover costs from nannies to playgroups.
Crime has decreased in Hertfordshire by 8.5% in 2011-2012 year.